Stuck at home this morning and wandering around I came across one of my guitars sitting in the corner and realised two things. One it would make a pretty cool picture, and two I never actually took any pictures of my guitars. So let’s take a look at the process of how I got from the first snapshot to the final image, and some bad images in between.
At first I thought that this could work out well and that I could get the window into the shot by getting a strobe in.
Once I did, I felt that it was still going to look very flat and that I had to move everything to another room to get the picture I had in mind. A few minutes later I was ready to go in the office and tried the same thing again with a bare strobe positioned overhead.
Although it started to look much better I wasn’t very happy with the hard shadows falling on the background, so I added a light modifier with a diffuser on the strobe to soften up the light. In this case I used the Westcott Rapid Box Octa M.
With this in place I was pretty happy with the light and the setup, so I took a few images and decided to swap a few guitars around.
Finally to finish it off I did a bit of post processing using Capture One and here are the final images.
For anyone wondering this were shot with the following equipment and settings:
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.